Reference in Manifesto
In the New Direction, the SLPP will:
- Examine the laws relating to dual citizenship with a view to allowing Sierra Leonean Diaspora to fully participate in the politics of Sierra Leone
- Move the Office of Diaspora Affairs to the Ministry of Development and Economic Planning
- De-politicise the staffing and management of Diaspora affairs
- Mobilize highly skilled Sierra Leoneans for knowledge and skills transfer to Sierra Leone through volunteer services or short-term consultancy services or partnership between local and Diaspora professionals organizations
- Mobilize and leverage Sierra Leonean Diaspora business communities for investment and trade in Sierra Leone
- Study and develop mechanisms to facilitate investment and transfer of funds from the Diaspora in collaboration with Sierra Leonean financial institutions
- Develop interactive mechanisms and special incentives for Sierra Leonean Diaspora Business communities
- Encourage Sierra Leonean Diaspora to form professional fora abroad.
- Improve on the consular services to the Sierra Leonean Diaspora
- Build development funds targeting specific sectors of the economy and work with Diaspora or their representatives to be part of the implementation process.
- Take necessary measures to enable Sierra Leoneans in Diaspora to vote overseas in public elections
- Work with a host of countries to promote the interest and rights of Diasporas and allow them access jobs.